“Exceeding the needs of our clients only happens by taking the time to really listen”
Sabrina A. Layman
Direct - (425) 374-5016
Sabrina began her career as a family law practitioner 20 years ago when she joined Ken Brewe’s law firm as an intern, and then as a newly-minted associate, making partner after just five years. Since that time, Sabrina has represented clients in a full range of “cradle to grave” family law matters, particularly complex and high net-worth divorce cases, including property and business valuation, property division, spousal maintenance, parenting plans and custody arrangements. She also represents clients in private independent adoptions and step-parent adoptions.
A tireless advocate for her clients, Sabrina combines a depth of legal knowledge in the area of family law with an equally nuanced view of the complex emotional and financial concerns that her clients are facing. Sabrina works closely with each client to understand their goals and objectives in order to provide the highest level of support and advocacy. Her work has received attention from her clients and legal colleagues as Sabrina was recognized as a Super Lawyer and Rising Star in the area of family law by Washington Law & Politics magazine. Sabrina was accepted into the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) which is a nationally recognized group of family law attorneys.
A Washington native, Sabrina primarily practices in Snohomish, King and Skagit Counties. She enjoys spending her “non-lawyer” time outdoors in both rain and shine either boating or skiing.
Representative Matters & Engagements
- Worked with a real-property owner/business owner over the course of his divorce to maintain substantial contact with his children as well as to strategically separate business holdings in order to obtain a fair and reasonable financial outcome.
- Obtained a trial judge’s ruling limiting maintenance for the high earning spouse when her husband had chosen not to re-enter the work force despite his substantial earning capacity.
- Successfully negotiated a long term financial support arrangement for a spouse divorcing a business owner with substantial separate property.
- Obtained an arbitration ruling requiring a parent to pay college support for his daughter despite his objection to the choice of college.
- Happily represented clients in multiple adoptions over the course of years as they built their family through domestic adoption and foreign re-adoption.
- Obtained a trial judge’s ruling allowing relocation of a parent out of state where the other spouse had failed to financially support her or the children leaving her no option other than relocation to obtain employment in the state where her extended family resided.
- Collaborated with a team of accountants and appraisers on a significant estate where
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Bar (1995)
- United States Federal District Court (1995)
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, cum laude, 1995
- B.A., University of Washington, magna cum laude, 1992
- In the Matter of the Marriage of Wayne Cummings and Ruth Cummings, 101 Wn. App. 230, 6 P.3d 19 (2000);
- review denied 141 Wash.2d 1030, 11 P.3d 825 (2000).
Professional Recognition and Honors
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Top 10 Nationally Ranked, 2017-2020
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2013 - Present
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, member, 2015 – Present;
- Washington State Coordinator, 2019
- Peer writing review committee
- Super Lawyer - Washington State (2004, 2019)
- Top 10 Washington State Family Law Attorneys for Attorney and Practice Magazine, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Top 100 Family Law Lawyer for State of Washington for American Society of Legal Advocates, 2016 - 2019
- American Jurist Institute Top 10 Family Law Attorney for Washington 2018
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys “10 Best” Washington, 2015, 2018, 2019
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, Top 10 Female Attorneys Washington State, 2018, 2019
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, Exceptional and Outstanding Client Service, 2015-2017
- Rising Star, 2002-2003
Professional and Community Activities
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2013)
- Member – Snohomish County, Skagit County , King County and Island County Bar Associations
- Member – Washington State Association for Justice (formerly Trial Lawyers Association)
- Board Certification – National Board of Trial Advocacy (2015)
" Wow! I’m amazed and impressed with your effort and brilliance. I know you have tried your very best to help me throughout this long journey. Your documents reflect everything that I had hoped and you expressed everything in a way that I could not."
I am humbled by Sabrina’s dedication to me as a client and by the excellence she demonstrated throughout; and to Jenn for the heavy lifting apparent in your remarkable "Woman-Friday" skills. I understand how difficult it can be to care authentically and to do so while being "effective" on a day in and day out basis. It is no small feat you two accomplish ... and I noticed.
- Client Dr. R.
Thank you. I am very impressed with the service you have given me. Best money I’ve ever spent. You and Katie are the best. Thank you!!!!
- Client Tim M.